How to choose the right neighbourhood
Feb 12, 2020
What makes your perfect suburb?
There’s so much to consider when you are planning to build a home. Picking the perfect suburb is an important decision, and one you’ll have to make from the outset. But how do you know you’re picking the right one? We’ve put together a shortlist of considerations to help you with picking the perfect piece of land.
1. Know your needs– have a think about things that are essential to where you reside. Do you need to be near a dog park for your fur baby? Do you need to be near public transport for your daily commute to work? Do you need to be near family? The list of needs you create will end up forming part of your criteria for selecting the right suburb.
2. School zones – may impact your decision if you have children or plan to in your new home. Thinking about what schools are in your local zones should form part of your decision. Likewise, think about if the suburb is family friendly. Are there local parks and childcare centres for a family orientated lifestyle? Is the crime rate low?
3. Future developments – Once you have a shortlist of suburbs, investigate planned developments in the area. Assess whether these developments will increase the value of your new home or impact it negatively.
4. Put your feelers out– Spend some time in the suburbs on your shortlist and get a feel for them. Speak to locals, visit the cafes and restaurants, even people watch! Once you’ve had some time to marinate in the area you should be able to narrow down to your top options.
5. Check the data – Look at recent land sales and get an idea of the price range. Take time to also look at recent home sales to get an indication of the value of your house and land in a few years. You may find that the resell value in one suburb performs differently to another you’re considering.
6. Keep your options open – If you keep missing out, putting all your eggs into one basket could leave you feeling deflated and frustrated. Have two-to-three ‘go to’ suburbs that would work for you. That way, you can increase your chances of finding the perfect piece of land sooner rather than later.
Above all, take your time. There’s plenty of estates opening regularly. If you’re feeling overwhelmed and need some help, check out our house and land packages.